- Grate potatoes and place in a clean tea towel. Squeeze all the water out of the potatoes and place potatoes in a large bowl.
- Immediately pour 270ml butter milk into the potato to prevent them from discolouring. Add the flour with the sugar and combine into the potato and buttermilk until you have a tick batter consistency.
- Dissolve the bread soda in the remaining 50ml of buttermilk, add to the mix and combine well.
- Heat a large frying pan and melt 50g of butter on a medium heat.. Add 4 good spoon full of potato mix , leaving some space between them, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Repeat with remaining of potato mix.
- Serve with melted butter. Brian’s Top Tip:
- Serve with grilled bacon and poached egg for one of the greatest breakfasts ever. Make a large one the size of a frying pan and top with eggs, tomato and honey.