Yields: 6 Servings
- Preheat Oven 170 °C
- Cook the barley in boiling water for approx. 25 minutes. Drain and leave aside.
- Heat a casserole dish, add the oil and lightly colour the diced lamb. Add the garlic, onion, bay leaf and thyme then sweat for minutes on lower heat.
- Season with pepper and add the carrots, parsnips and celery and continue to cook for further 5 minutes. Add the cooked barley followed by the warm stock.
- Cover with a lid & simmer for approx. 40 minutes or until lamb is tender.
- While lamb is cooking peel and thinly slice the potatoes. Pan fry potatoes in rapeseed oil turning all the time. Season with pepper and fresh thyme.
- Arrange slices of potatoes on top of lamb and place in oven for 15 minutes. Brian’s Top Tip:
- Make using leftover cooked lamb from your Sunday roast or try replacing lamb with beef and add some Guinness