Yields: 6 Servings
- Melt 50g of Butter and sweat chopped spring onions and mix in through the mashed potato with a pinch of pepper.
- Place the smoked haddock and haddock fillets in a pot with bayleaf and cover with the milk. Bring to the boil and simmer for 7 minutes.
- Remove fish from the milk and place in tin foil to keep warm
- Melt butter in saucepan and add flour to make a roux, then add the milk the fish was cooked in. season with pinch of pepper stirring all the time simmer the sauce until it thickens. Add the 50g of the grated cheese. Hold back remaining 50g for the top of the pie.
- In the rapeseed oil sweat the chopped onions, garlic, carrots, leeks and celery until the vegetables are softened.
- Place the fish and vegetables in an oven proof dish and pour over the sauce and gently combine everything together. Place a layer of mashed potato on top with the remaining grated cheese. Bake in pre heated oven at 200 degrees C for 40 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving and serve with chopped parsley on top. Brian’s Tips.
- Use leftover cooked potatoes as they will work perfectly for this dish. Or if you wish cover the fish pie in pastry and bake.